From emergency room to classroom

Madeline Fisher

More stories from Madeline Fisher

Instas vs. Finstas
May 13, 2019

Etowah has several new staff faces around campus, one of them being Jennifer Carpenter, physical and earth science teacher.
While Carpenter was in college, she trained to be an Emergency Medical Technician, but after volunteering in an emergency room for eight hours, she quickly realized being a EMT was not for her. Her mother and grandmother, both teachers, inspired her to pursue a career in education which led her to get her degrees in math, science, language arts, social studies, and leadership from West Georgia College.
“Science allows people to learn every day and better equate what is happening in their life to the classroom,” Carpenter said.
Behind the closed doors of room 2213, Carpenter teaches physical and earth science to all grades.
“I hope they take a love for learning,” Carpenter said.
Carpenter hopes that her students show an interest in learning after they have completed her class, and wants them to be inspired to learn something new every day. She loves the “aha” moment when students make connections to what they are learning.
“I love her effort in teaching,” Lindsey Chenault, sophomore, said.
Carpenter oversees Science Olympiad, the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl, the Academic Bowl, and WiSTEM.
“I love Etowah,” Carpenter said.
Carpenter appreciates Etowah’s staff, administration, and students. She loves how helpful other teachers are to her, and how supportive that administration is. She also admires how respectful the students are.
“At first I thought she was just another teacher, but then I got to know her, and she’s an awesome teacher,” Elliot Vaupell, sophomore, said.