Lights… Camera… Action!

Kellie Little

More stories from Kellie Little

Etowah has its own television news network; not every school can make that claim.
The audio and video technical class at Etowah is the starting place for people who want to work for Etowah Eagles Television or on the football tech crew.
EETV is Etowah’s own personal news network. The EETV crew finds something important in the community and cover it. Their news cycle runs one week in advance, and baring breaks or holidays, new content is released Friday.
“It’s pretty fun to pick your own article and cover it; sometimes we film and find out it’s not going to be in EETV, but it’s something to look forward to on Friday. It’s exciting to see yourself on the screen,” Michael Padgett, junior, said.
Etowah’s Tech Crew films every football game at home. For their service, the crew gets paid, a driving factor for some of them.
“I originally joined for the money, but I think I’ve really come into it. The Eagle’s Nest is hot all the time, and as a sophomore you still have to do a freshman’s job, but I really do enjoy the work that I do,” Tabitha Wright, sophomore, said.
All games are filmed at the Eagle’s Nest. A handful of people are on the field filming alongside their production assistants, but more are upstairs.
“We have different jobs for each game; some people film and man the cameras, control the scoreboard, freshmen and some sophomores are PAs,” Wright said.
The work the AV club does for schools involves more than a class with cameras. Some students said that they joined for the credit and because they thought it would be an easy A. Now, it is like a hobby for them, and it has helped them discover what they want to do after high school.