Etowah senior Madeline Gilmer has it all

More stories from Lillie Russell

ghghujhjgh

Deanie Sexton

ghghujhjgh

For many, high school is the perfect place to get involved with clubs and activities.  This is especially true for senior Madeline Gilmer.  Gilmer is in numerous AP courses, a Varsity tennis player, received first place for the science fair, was a co- captain of the Varsity volleyball team that made it to Final Four, and has just been chosen to represent Etowah as a 2016 Georgia Scholar.

To be a 2016 Georgia Scholar is a prestigious award as only 151 seniors across the state of Georgia are chosen recipients.  Gilmer was chosen for her work within the school and the community.

“I was really excited to receive the Georgia Scholar Award to finish my senior year, and I’m looking forward to continuing my education and involvement in the community when I go to college” Gilmer said.

Truly fitting the overall criteria for the award, Gilmer’s personal life includes modeling for a local fashion store, Brooklyn’s, and planning a beauty contest called Miss Amazing Incorporated for special needs students for her senior project.  Gilmer has been involved with the Beauty Contest for several years, but took leadership over it this year.

“She is truly a scholar athlete.  Not only is she one of the top volleyball players in Etowah history she is also one of the top math students.  She is in my Multivariable Calculus class which puts her as one of the top students in the school, county and even the state” Mr. Wright Vermilya said.  “I see nothing but great things for her in the future.”

Gilmer plans to attend the University of Alabama in the fall.

“I am so grateful for Madeline’s friendship and I truly value her perspective on a wide variety of things; she is really a well rounded person” Jake Nagy, senior and close friend of Gilmer, said.